Aleah Mainzer, MPT, CPT - HED - firstname.lastname@example.org - 415-833-7836
Katarina Matejkova - email@example.com - 415-299-3724
Heather D’Eliso Gordon, RD, CSSD and Certified in Plant Based Nutrition - Nutrition Services in HED
Linda Shiue, MD, DipABLM, Director of Culinary Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco - AFM
Naina Limbekar, MD – Sleep/Neurology
Tim Regan, LCSW, Certified Health Educator - HED
Ryan Guinness, MD - AFM
Aleah Mainzer, MPT, CPT, DipACLM - HED
Luba Abascal, MD, DipABLM - AFM
Murtuza Ghadiali, MD, Chief of Addiction Medicine and Recovery Services
Lori Furbush, Health Education Instructor III, Certified Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Teacher - HED
Gayatri Khanna, MD, DipABLM - Geriatric Medicine
What: 6 sessions brought to San Francisco Kaiser Permanente by the Personal Health Coach Program in the Health Education Department and Employee Wellness Department to promote Lifestyle Medicine (LSM). There are 6 “pillars” of LSM.
▪ Mon May 8 - Nutrition – Whole Food Plant Based - Heather D’Eliso Gordon, RD, CSSD and Certified in Plant Based Nutrition. Intro and discussion by Linda Shiue, MD, DipABLM, Director of Culinary Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco
▪ Wed May 10 - Restorative Sleep – Naina Limbekar, MD – Sleep/Neurology
▪ Mon May 15 - Positive Social Connections – Tim Regan, LCSW, Certified Health Educator with discussion by Ryan Guinness, MD.
▪ Wed May 17 - Physical Activity – Aleah Mainzer, MPT, CPT, DipACLM, Luba Abascal, MD, DipABLM, Adult and Family Medicine
▪ Mon May 22 – Addiction and Avoidance of Risky Substances – Murtuza Ghadiali, MD, Chief of Addiction Medicine and Recovery Services
▪ Wed May 24 - Stress Management – Lori Furbush, Health Education Instructor III, Certified Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Teacher with discussion by Gayatri Khanna, MD, DipABLM
Target Audience: To promote Lifestyle Medicine within San Francisco Kaiser Permanente to Employees and Physicians.
When: Mondays and Wednesdays at lunch – 12:30-1:30 PM May 8, May 10, May 15, May 17, May 22, May 24
How: Teams Meetings
Nutrition-Whole Food Plant Based:
Explain the health significance of eating whole food plant-based
Discuss how and why to emphasize plant protein over animal protein.
Pass on the key messages of eating whole food plant-based to All people*
Discuss the science of sleep
Recognize how our lifestyle impacts our sleep drive
Create an optimal lifestyle routine can lead to better sleep
Discuss how the 6 pillars of lifestyle impact sleep
Positive Social Connections:
Define what being socially connected means
Help a KP member or yourself identify the value of social connection and ways to increase it if needed|
Use available KP tools and resources for patients and providers in clinical practice
state some benefits of physical activity
overcome barriers to working out more often
teach your patients how to work out more often
Addiction and Avoidance of Risky Substances:
explain safe drinking limits for adults and pregnant persons
explain the risks of electronic nicotine use or vaping and behavioral and pharmacologic interventions
discuss risks and reported benefits of cannabis use including cannabidiol
refer patients to Kaiser Permanente health education department classes and resources
Recognize stress as it is arising.
Work skillfully with stress in your own life
Use strategies that you might teach your patients to work with stress in their lives?