Series Faculty Members:
- Dr. Summeer Gupta
Series Planning Committee Members:
- Dr. Summeer Gupta
Series Learning Objectives:
- Ensure that treatment recommendations are follow most recent nationally recognized guidelines.
- Order appropriate imaging modalities for the evaluation of hyperparathyroidism.
- Appropriately use Genetic testing for indeterminate thyroid nodules.
- Identify and address issues of language, culture, and health literacy in all patient - provider communication
- Identify appropriate patients for newer technologies such as ethanol ablation and radiofrequency ablation.
Series List of References:
- 2016 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult patients with Thyroid NOdules and
- Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task Force on Thyroid Nodules and
- Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Haugen et al. Thyroid. 2016 Jan; 26(1): 1-133.
Series Cultural and Linguistic Competency:
- Business & Professions Code 2190.1(b)(AB 1195) generally requires that, whenever possible, all CME presentations must include information on cultural & linguistic differences that may affect patient care.
Are there disparities among different patient groups in care or outcomes?
- There are likely implicit biases that affect care. For instance, age based stereotypes may shift our recommendations to
more aggressive surgery in teenagers as opposed to elderly patients for cancers
How will the health disparities identified be addressed in this series?
- Patient care recommendations
How will implicit bias be addressed in this series?
- During case discussions, if we notice a provider is recommending a more or less aggressive treatment/diagnostic
pathway, we can discuss as group whether we are basing this on implicit bias, such as age/sex cultural background
and re-instill our need to offer patients autonomous decision making capabilities
Accreditation Statement: The Kaiser San Francisco (San Francisco, CA 94115) is accredited by the California Medical Association (CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation: The Kaiser San Francisco (San Francisco, CA 94115) designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Disclosure Statement The faculty and planners for this activity, as well as the CME staff, do not have any relevant financial relationships with any ineligible companies to disclose.
- 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™