Chronic Opioid Therapy Workflow Education for Adult and Family Medicine Physicians
This training is in alignment with the revised FDA’s Opioid Analgesic REMS Education Blueprint for Health Care Providers and the current TPMG Chronic Opioid Therapy Workflows. Completion of all three online modules counts for a total of 3 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ as well as 3 hours of Pain Management and/or End-of-Life Care credits.
Please launch the course in Chrome.
Adult and Family Medicine physicians and other clinicians who treat patients on Chronic Opioid Therapy
These resources are designed to help clinicians:
Module 1: Scope and Risk
- Identify the scope of the opioid problem nationally and the scope of the problem within Kaiser Permanente
- Reduce risks to patients, families and communities, providers, and the medical group from opioid misuse
- Identify resources to help prescribers
- Be prepared to implement a new model of care for opioid prescribing at KP
Module 2: Initiating Chronic Opioid Therapy
- Utilize assessment tools to determine the appropriateness of an opioid trial
- Implement the Initiating Chronic Opioid Therapy Workflow
- Make prescribing decisions for patients when opioids are not appropriate and/or who meet the criteria for a trial of opioid therapy
- Create and communicate the treatment plan to patients
Module 3: Ongoing Management of Chronic Opioid Therapy
- Use assessment tools to determine risks and benefits, red flags and patients who should be tapered
- Update treatment plan and communicate the plan to the patient
- Identify the required documentation pieces for the ongoing COT workflow in KPHC
Diparshi Mukherjee, MD, Regional Opioid Safety Physician Lead
Macy Shia, Regional Opioid Initiative Lead
Sameer Awsare, MD, Associate Executive Director, Region
TPMG Physician Education and Development is accredited by the California Medical Association (CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
TPMG Physician Education and Development designates this enduring material for a total of 3.0 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Certificate of attendance will be available on the TPMG Physician Education & Development website for printing within 30 days of the program date. It will be up to the individual attendees to report applicable hours of attendance to their respective boards.
Module 1 credits: 0.5 hour
Module 2 credits: 1.5 hours
Module 3 credits: 1.0 hour
While you are welcome to review this course multiple times, CME credit may only be claimed once.
Release date: October 30, 2020
Termination date: October 29, 2023
This activity also meets the requirements for 3.0 hours of Pain Management and/or End-of-Life care.
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 3.00 Pain/EOL