NSA TPMG COM: Clinician Communication Workshop Outpatient-Prt. 2
NSA TPMG COM: 3/24/22 Clinician Communication Workshop Outpatient -Part 2
The Member Patient Satisfaction (MPS) survey and HCAHPS Patient Satisfaction Scores from surveys completed and returned by patients recently discharged from both the Vacaville and Vallejo hospitals have indicated that there is a need for improvement in “Communications with Doctors”.
Many Napa Solano physicians have a 12 month average MPS (Member Patient Satisfaction) score less than their respective department’s regional average. This means that the majority of the surveyed patients that they saw over the past 12 months failed to rate them “Excellent” or “”Very good” on the following items:
1. Skills and ability
2. Confidence in the care provided
3. How well they listened and explained
4. Involvement of the patient in medical decision making
5. Familiarity with the patient’s medical history
New clinicians to be given communication tools early in their practice lives with Kaiser Permanente.
1. Apply the Four Habits Model of Communication to any patient encounter:
- Open visits in a welcoming manner & quickly establish rapport.
- Efficiently elicit the patient's concerns.
- Demonstrate empathy
- Close the visit with a plan while engaging the patient in active discussion.
2. Apply the SPIKES model of breaking bad news:
3. Discuss/explore patient's feelings to minimize emotional distress during difficult conversations.
4. Adapt to differences in communication displayed by patients of various ethnic/cultural backgrounds.
Klaus Kernbach, PDM, Podiatry, KP Vallejo, Communication Consultant Lead
Robert Quon, MD
Melissa VanderWal, MD
The CME committee members, planners and reviewers of this activity and the speaker, have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients. Kaiser Permanente does not endorse any brand-name products.
Kaiser Napa/Solano is accredited by the California Medical Association (CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The Kaiser Napa/Solano designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the event.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™